I chatted with one of my favorite Nashville wedding planners and all around super sweet person. Tanza Cooper is the owner and lead planner with Lee Henry Events (LHE), is a is a boutique wedding and event planning plus design company focusing on chic celebrations. Tanza is also one of the most detailed people I know and puts this great energy into each event she plans. We had a chance to attend her recent birthday celebrations and when I tell you there was no detail overlooked, she even incorporated photos of each guest in her photo slideshow, such a nice touch!
Learn a little more about Tanza plus she provides her 5 tips to fabulous Fall table decor.
What inspired you to open an event planning business?
Relocating every three years or so as a military spouse, I accepted numerous jobs that I wasn’t fond of but I always found those jobs where I could be creative were my best. I soon became tired of finding “jobs” and was looking for a path where I could express myself creatively, be my own boss and have the ability to relocate the business without much effort. I started out planning events for family, friends, my church and my sorority and soon realized I had not only a skillset but discovered my passion. I love coming up with ideas and turning those ideas into a beautiful memorable celebration. After gaining experience and pursuing a few Event and Wedding Management certificates, I decided to officially start LeeHenry Events LLC.
How did you choose the name Lee Henry Events?
My mother and grandmother’s middle name was Lee and my father’s middle name was Henry. Since they are all deceased, naming my business after them was my way of paying homage to the three most influential people in my life.
Are you a Nashville native?
No, I’m originally from Paris, TN.
Tell us the quote/scripture you live by?
To Whom Much is Given, Much is Required.
What are the wedding color(s) you are digging for 2016?
The fashion and interior design worlds are huge inspiration avenues to watch when determining colors for the coming year. For 2016, Pantone suggests designers are geared toward a color palette with a calming effect. Rose Quartz, Peach Echo, Snorkel Blue and Buttercup (yellowish gold) are a few examples. A beautiful paired combination are the colors Rose Quartz, Gold and Ivory. Even Apple took note of the hot colors and produced a Rose Gold iphone 6.
What tips would you give the entrepreneur trying to live out their dreams?
Persistently stay on track even with small derailments. Set small and large attainable measureable goals and always be in learning mode. It doesn’t matter if an entrepreneur has been in business for 1 year, 5 years or 20 years, in order to build a better business in your field, I feel educating yourself on a continuous basis is key especially in our ever-changing world. Education can be in the form of conferences, subscribing to your industry newsletters, blogs or magazines or furthering your education by obtaining a higher degree or certification. Lastly but equally important – network within and outside of your industry.
I feel educating yourself on a continuous basis is key especially in our ever-changing world.
You are not new to planning but new to Nashville, what are some fun places that have become your go-to here in Nashville?
I LOVE Nashville because it offers so many fun places! My favorite places are walking down the strips of Broadway and 2nd Avenue North. BB Kings and The Lounge at Sinema are two of my “meet my friends” hangout spot. I don’t necessarily consider myself a foodie but I enjoy the Southern, Monell’s at the Manor and grabbing a cupcake from The Cupcake Collection. At any day, you may find me at Opry Mills or Green Hills Mall. With me being new to Nashville, I have found the Urbaanite and the Nashville Wedding Planner Group events not only fun and informative but a tremendous help in meeting other like-minded business owners.
What are some of your Thanksgiving table decor tips?
I get a little tired of the boring table décor? Below are the five steps I incorporate to glam up my table decor for this year’s Thanksgiving holiday.
- First, map out the design for your table theme around the item and color that you love. Fresh pumpkins can be found in the color orange, white and even the rare color green. You can choose to use all three colors or just use two of the three.
- Before purchasing items, I recommend establishing an inspiration board in a program such as Pinterest or PicMonkey. These programs will allow you to see how your chosen colors will coordinate and blend.
- Make the centerpiece your focal point on your table. It is best to start with this element. A combination of high and low centerpieces will give depth to the table. Pumpkins and candles can be placed on top of a decorative table runner down the center of the table with one big candle or vase in the middle. Fresh flowers are always an added touch of elegance and glam.
- Utilize a full array of options for your design. The complete design can include the color palette, centerpieces, plates, glasses, and any extra detail that represents you and your guests, The use of place cards, menu cards and guests gifts packaged in the theme colors are great examples to reflect you and your guests choice of style
- Shop a variety of stores for your glam products. Specialty retail stores, department stores and outlet malls are good sources to find unique items in glass, wood and stone. The key is to shop early or find great deals at post-holiday sales.