Happy Memorial Day and thanks to all the who gave their lives serving our country.
A little history: did you know unofficially, Memorial DayÂ got its start after the Civil War, when freed slaves and abolitionists gathered in Charleston, S.C., on May 1, 1985 to honor Union soldiers who gave their lives to battle slavery.
Now, check out a few things you can get out and do today with family in Nashville.
1. Visit one of the local memorial park’s in the area, including:
- Veterans Memorial, Clarksville
- Williamson County Veterans Park, Franklin
- Old Hickory Veterans Memorial Park, Nashville
- Sumner County Veterans Park, N. Belvedere Dr., Gallatin
- Stones River National Cemetery
2. Attend a Memorial Day program. Murfreesboro will hold their Flags of Remembrance Ceremony at 5pm (30441 Memorial Blvd.)
3. Visit a waterpark with family and friends.
Looking for more? Here are some additional things going onÂ today.